Friday, December 8, 2006

Events of the Week So Far

I discovered Monday that I have several holds on my account at the university where I'm getting a second masters degree - I started there in August. After delivering my immunization forms to the registrar's office to remove that hold, they informed my that I have two other holds placed on my account by the graduate school. Apparently they never received my writing sample that I took in August, and they also haven't received the final transcripts from the other university where I received my M.S. in geography. After a series of emails, I discovered that the woman who administered the writing sample to me never logged me or my results into the system. What the hell? She said she was just clueless as to what could have happened. Well, cluelessness is no excuse for incompetence! I vividly remember that day because I had just arrived home the day before from a trip to South America. So, that morning in August, I went in and met with the lady, she gave me a handout of two writing sample essay questions. I went to the computer lab and wrote the essay, printed it out, returned to her office, and then physically turned the thing in to her. I guess it was promptly lost. It's a good thing I save a copy of it, which I sent to her Tuesday and she immediately had it graded. Hopefully that hold has now been removed. Now, I'll just have to have the other university send the transcripts in after they post my final degree when I graduate from there next week. However, that masters degree in geography is definitely not a requirment for admission to this program - so why in the world does it even matter that they have a final transcript in order for me to be able to register for classes next semester? Oh well - dealing with university administration logistical matters has always been tedious.

The environment of the office at work this week has been one of transition. We are expanding into another area of the floor in the building where we are located. All sorts of people have been coming and going this week - network people, wiring, electricians, security system installments (apparently someone has already tried to break in twice over the past week), etc. The place was supposed to be up and running on Monday. One of the co-owners - who currently lives in California - flew in to help out this week. She flies back early Friday morning. We'll all miss her because she is such a happy, positive, vivacious person, and is super nice! She doesn't hold back anything she thinks though; but I think its good to be forthright - and she does it in a humorous way. Anyway, they are supposed to be moving back here later in the spring or June. They're expecting a baby in January. I think she'll be back in February for another week; one of the co-workers is getting married the first weekend in March. I really like working with all these people - they're really nice and fun to work with. The office is real laid back and is a good work environment. The co-owner who is flying back to California told me that some girl in the office across the hall has been eyeing me. I ended up meeting her out in the hall today when I was helping move some stuff, talking with the co-owner, and she seems a bit older than I am. Oh well.

One of my classes is having a Christmas party Friday night at one of the student's and her husband's home. I think only about half the class has responded saying that they will be there. We're supposed to bring a beverage and a side item/or dessert. I think I'll bring a bottle of wine, and some side dish that I haven't decided on yet, and maybe some stollen (German dessert bread commonly eaten around Christmas - sometimes referred to as Weinachtstollen or Christollen) for dessert. I asked one girl in the class (she and another girl were doing a superb job of flirting with me while I was giving a presentation to the class Monday night) if she would like to ride together - I offered to drive - and I received a "maybe". What the hell? Yes or no please! I mean, you're definitely going to the party. Why not go with someone? However, it's been my experience that "maybe" usually ends up being "no". Dammit! Oh well, the party will be fun nonetheless. I'm sure there will be lots of good food there and nice people.

On the way home from work tonight I stopped by to visit with my grandparents for a while. They always like to have visitors sit and watch Jeopardy with them. They always offer food and absolutely expect people to eat it while there - regardless of whether they are hungry or not (comes from the German culture I guess). So, she fixed me two gigantic pieces of toasted cheese and butter toast, which was delicious, and sweet tea to drink. They had me go out to their mailbox three times while I was there to see if their mail had run yet - but it didn't come until after 7:00pm!

After I got home I started some laundry, and then worked on a geography PhD application. I actually got it submitted online as well. Now I just have to make sure all the other stuff gets sent in timely - GRE scores, transcripts, recommendations, etc. Hopefully I'll start the program next Fall 2007.

Thursday was also Pearl Harbor Day. So, don't forget that - December 7, 1941 - "A day which will live in infamy" as President Franklin D. Roosevelt described it on the radio the following day.

No comments: